View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:13 PM

Thank you so much Albertas and Kevin for your replies.

So I'm not worrying about the clearance between the bell housing and CP17, thanks for that. I will anyway buy these Range Rover stiff engine mounts to be sure.

Regarding the alternator, today, I modified the big bracket. This is a one piece bracket for:
- the drive belt tensioner,
- the alternator,
- the power steering pump.

Alternator01.jpg

As shown above, the upper part of the bracket and the drive belt tensioner attached on it stopped me to push the alternator toward the engine block. I must get rid of them if I want to use this alternator.

So, I dared removing the upper part which means I can no longer use the original belt tensioner (I also removed the lower part : power steering pump mounting points)

Pic1: cutting the power steering pump mounts
Pic2: lower part of the big bracket is cut off.
Pic3: the part below the black line is the alternator mount I want to keep. above the black line is the belt tensioner mount I want to cut off
Pic4: upper part of the big bracket is cut off.
Alternator02.jpg

It left the bracket only with the alternator mounting points.

Alternator03.jpg

This way, I can get a gap of 53mm between the alternator and D2, which is even more than I expected, so I'm satisfied with that.

Pic1: the alternator can now be much closer to the engine.
Pic2: this thin metal strip is just here to simulate the part I need to be able to tense the new belt
Pic3: 43mm gap between the alternator and D2 when in position with the metal strip
Pic4: 53mm gap between the alternator and D2 when the alternator is completely against the engine block.
Alternator04.jpg

I think the gap between the alternator and D2 is now wide enough to allow me to push back the alternator outwards for tensing the belt. Am I right ?

Now, I need to find a way to be able to tense the belt (I will need to buy a shorter belt, but it shouldn't be a problem to find), as I can no longer use the original belt tensioner. I can either use the adjustment strip from my SOHC, make my own, but I will try to install this kind of part, which will allow me to tense the belt easily.
Alternator035.jpg

I will complete this post when the alternator is definitely fitted.

If you see anything wrong with this set up, please feel free to let me know, that is the main reason why I keep on publishing pictures and descriptions.

Thank you very much.