Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2012, 07:07 PM

I have managed to get the ca18det engine in and up to now there are no conflicts and the amount of space I have is amazing.....tho I think the bonnet is going to require a small power bulge to accept the plenum and the obligatory sump chop to help with ground clearance.....even offered up some body parts.

Old 20th May 2012, 07:39 PM

nissan??.. what engine u using???
Old 20th May 2012, 08:28 PM

Its the ca18det from the nissan 200sx s13 which is a 1.8 turbo kicking out 170bhp in standard form but I have several tuning mods to do, maybe after the IVA
Old 20th May 2012, 10:09 PM

hmmm, nice...
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:02 PM

I've decided to use the land rover engine mounts again ....if they are strong enough for a V8 then they will be ok for my engine, after a rummage around my loft I came across a real beefy tow bar mount so I cut it in half on the bandsaw
I then took a small strip of ally and bent it to the angles required for the nissans engine mounts then off down to shed to drill 10mm holes and use the oxy gear to put some heat into the point of bends (remembering to add the thickness onto the dimensions) took some heat and a big shifty spanner to bend it, but it did work out fine. All I need now is the mounts which are on there way to me, when I get those on I can finalize the last pair of small gearbox mount near the back end of the box and then soon after that and a few small bit and pieces I will be ready to paint the chassis....only one piccy today
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:15 PM

Cool.....
Looks a nice lump in there and with bags of room....
Cars going to look stunning with your wishbones and red bodykit.
What do you plan to do with regards to the plenum chamber, I know you said a power buldge but you going to make one or buy one?
The 1.6 MX5 has a similar problem with this even with the large NTS bonnet scoop but the 1.8 seems to be ok...
Look forward to more piccy's....

Johno
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:50 AM

Hi Johno...jury is out on that one, might even be a bit different and vac form a teardrop bulge from lexan or acetate and I have not ruled out a cut and shut on the plenum or manifold tubes, since it is a bit down the line I may worry about it then
Old 24th May 2012, 12:51 PM

Got my landy mounts yesterday and was able to finalize exact engine alignment/fitment and have to say it is very solid now that the mounts are all fixed, I think I might employ a vibration dampener at some upper part of the engine. Another good thing is I was able to measure the exact distance between rear diff flange and g/box output seal and is 537mm....that's a bloody short propshaft so will defo be putting in a few extra bits in to act as a prop catcher should things go bang in that area
main mounts now in

two small supplemental gearbox mounts....it all helps
Old 15th June 2012, 12:00 PM

Not got much done lately as been busy in the garden....did however get around to mounting the radiators and acquiring an electric fan for a tenner off ebay also been adding some extra reinforcing with 20mm box section any where that I have ground back the welds to accept fibreglass panels and also around the engine bay area will get some piccies of that later.
here is the rad mounting my charge cooler rad is going in front of this with the fan sandwiched in between them.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:12 PM

Got your PM from this morning, will reply soon.
Regarding your radiator, it looks like you are going to install a blower fan in front of the radiator. My advice would be, if you still can change, to rather install the fan as a puller, behind the radiator. It is much more efficient. A blower fan (installed in front of the radiator) is a big obstruction to the natural airflow. As a general rule, a blower fan should be installed only if there is not enough room between the engine and the radiator to install a puller.
Just my opinion though, and I guess you certainly have good reasons to install your radiator this way