Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th April 2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwillia View Post
Hi all,
I'm very pleased to announce that the car recently passed IVA (Exeter) at first attempt. I would like to express my gratitude to this forum and it's members for the endless input and advise along the way (2.5 years!). I could not have done it without the information on here. The recent dry spell has been very timely and allowed a lot of driving time and the opportunity to fine tune suspension, steering and megasquirt. Currently I have the Saturn GRP body kit with aeroscreen. So now I am looking to fit a windscreen and full hood to make it south west country rain proof!
Has anyone on here fitted wet weather gear to the Haynes Roadster? I suppose wet weather gear/windscreen from other "kits" may be possible? The possibilities include GBS Zero, Caterham S3 or Classic, Westfield SE,Tiger Avon, MK Indy to name just a few. I'm not sure of the chassis widths on any of the above cars and how it compares to the Haynes Roadster. The alternative is to make it bespoke from scratch There is also the possibility of making a GRP hardtop.
Any advise/discussion on the above would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
John

Haynes Roadster, Sierra running gear, 2.0 DOHC I4/MT75, Fireblade TBs, Megasquirt
Don't think there is any 'off the shelf' wet weather gear that'll fit due to the high roll hoop. Windscreen frame shouldn't be that hard to make, and most windscreen companies should be able to cut you a flat screen to a cardboard template.

BV
Old 16th April 2012, 10:40 AM

The Roadster is wider than those you list so your best bet is to find a firm who either make boat covers and/or MG rag tops. But they will need the car. Then what you do is price up having a few made made to sell on so yours is either free or costs next to nowt for doing it....
Old 16th April 2012, 11:46 AM

I had a quick look at this as its something i want to do. The problem is the numbers, to have a decent soft top it needs to hang and tension off the screen. That in turn cannot be just bolted to the scuttle as its just not strong enough. Also its having a screen made X10 as thats the minimum brasscraft will entertain and its got to have enough beef to stop the top strip being ripped off when the wind gets under the hood so you can all forget about using an old showerscreen , then making the brackets x10 for the mounting off the underdash frame, then x10 for a set of hoops, then x10 for the weather gear. Then the biggest hurdle is getting a group buy going for what will probably end up a £500 item complete when a bolt group buy at under £20 never seems to get off the ground

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 16th April 2012, 05:03 PM

i have spoke to a co in tamworth that makes the windows and frames for the trains i work on while we where looking at redesigning some of the windows for our fleet and the guy rekoned he could make the hole lot as long as it would be a batch of at least 10 and i designed it all for him as thay do all sorts of coaches and meny other public transport type windows and frames anyway and have all the tooling already inhouse to do such a job.

sadly i have to much on at the mo to get onto it and im not planing to fit a windscreen until i have my car past its iva
Old 11th May 2012, 10:41 AM

Interesting one to pursue. Whats your timescale on this ?