Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th June 2011, 04:05 PM

Default chassis

Hi. I am new here but have caught the bug and feel the need to build a haynes roadster. After scouring the pages of the locost and other sites I have purchased the book and am ready to go. I spotted a chassis on ebay all built up with suspension package for under a thousand pounds from talon fabrications. Has anyone on this forum gone down this route with a ready made chassis and are they built to a decent standard? Next question is are they capable of v8 installations without compromising the asthetics and structual integrity? Views and comments please
Old 5th June 2011, 04:14 PM

Smile

Hey welcome!

the pre-built chassis question i cant answer but i assume that the quality is as good as it gets,

as for the v8

they do fit.. ish lets just say its snug
but a bit of engineering never hurt anyone
nothing majorly drastic tho

i chose to fit a v6 which has a smaller angle but more height so you win and you loose.

I look forward to seeing your build

Michael
Old 5th June 2011, 04:37 PM

Default v8

I can handle snug but dont want half of the mill sticking out of the bodywork. A friend of mine built a westfield wide bodied car with a rover in it and thought it was a mounted a little on the high side in the chassis. I was thinking along the lines of a dry sump just to keep it all below the bonnet line. I have a downdraught weber type manifold with inj throttle bodies for my engine so i am hoping that iwill only need 8 small holes in the bonnet. Thoughts please?
Old 5th June 2011, 04:48 PM

carbs will be higher than an efi system. but saying that if your going to be using a dry sump you can go pretty low.

i personally think you'll have a fair bit of room to spare. rover v8s aint that tall, even if you put a scoop in your bonnet thatll allow room and provide breathing for your down/d's

michael
Old 5th June 2011, 04:58 PM

Default v8

The engine i have is a 302 ford with a 347 stroker kit. Its been left to one side from another project and seems a shame not to use it. In the corner of the yard i have also got a turbo technics v6 twin turbo 4x4 sierra that is rotten. its not the minka but still quite pokey. Just worries me to have to get all the turbos and associated plumbing under the bonnet but if the 302 wont go in there i will take another look at the v6. I just dont wnt to spoil the lines of the car.
Old 5th June 2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
The engine i have is a 302 ford with a 347 stroker kit. Its been left to one side from another project and seems a shame not to use it. In the corner of the yard i have also got a turbo technics v6 twin turbo 4x4 sierra that is rotten. its not the minka but still quite pokey. Just worries me to have to get all the turbos and associated plumbing under the bonnet but if the 302 wont go in there i will take another look at the v6. I just dont wnt to spoil the lines of the car.
ohh i see im sorry for presuming your using a rover v8 haha,

yeah well too right may aswell try using it if its going to rot somewhere.
and that v6 of yours sounds like a bit of a powerhouse .

i think the best thing to probably do is to build or "buy" your chassis and plop the engine in to see how much room you have etc etc gotta think about your gearbox too! and as for upsetting the exterior lines of the car im sure you can conduct some sort of way to re route exhaust systems/turbo's or any other thing you want to plop on.

i guess it depends upon how much money/time and perseverance you want to spend on it
Old 5th June 2011, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

I started of with a Cologne V6 in mine. But my tunnel was built for a 4pot Type 9 which has a narrower bell housing. I could not get the engine back enough and the plenum was way over the bonnet line.

Now going down the 4pot route.

There shoudl be room for the full turbo technics stuff on the sides.

Talon is on here, it's a good price.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 5th June 2011, 05:48 PM

Default v8

Do you think that a t5 or a t56 would go in the same space as the mt75? Other concerns are does the gear change end up under your elbows.As I intend buying my chassis the last thing i want to do is start cutting great lumps out of it. Other thing on my mind is the diff and available ratios , how hard would it be to fit up a salisbury powerlock from a jag ?Would there be enough room in the rear of the tunnel io accept the nose of the diff has anyone already done it?
Old 5th June 2011, 06:58 PM

Hello Rob, I've made over 30 chassis so far and I have run a few group buys of wishbones and rear uprights no one has brought any thing back yet so they can't be that bad.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 5th June 2011, 07:08 PM

Default chassis

Thats exactly what i wanted to know. What are the chances of building a chassis for me with a few mods? i did leave a message friday for some one to call me.
bob