Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st May 2012, 11:51 AM

Default Time to put things to bed i think....

As most of you are aware, before I took on the Saturn project I used to help Andrew on weekends/evenings whilst working 50-60 hour weeks in a job that I had grown to hate. I started off on the tools and as my career progressed I found myself dealing with more and more shit until finally I was bound to the office for a good proportion of the week. Helping out at Saturn free of charge with my mates was hard graft, but it was also my escape from the real world, you could say it was my main hobby.

It was mid summer last year when I started thinking about making the jump, Andrew and I discussed plans for me to set up next door producing turn key cars under the Saturn brand whilst Andrew carried on with the bread and butter work. This is where we planned to actually make some money, as a good few of you know, the business was in trouble. After months of planning I left my job in December, took on the unit next door and finished the single seater.

It was during the Christmas holidays when I was putting the final touches to the single seater that Andrew became seriously ill with epilepsy and told me that he couldn’t carry on. This was a big shitstorm of worry for me as I had quit my job, and already made the leap. I had no real capital behind me and I had been replaced at the company I used to work for me so I was worried how the mortgage was going to be paid ( hence the long horrible arguments with the missus and some sleepless nights!)

I decided to make the best out of a shit situation and give it a go on my own. I set up nts and the first couple of months were very hard work, but good fun. Turnover wasn’t great, and there were a few cock ups to put right, but I took it all in my stride, with the belief that the only way is up!

The Business is bloody hard work, for the returns and with the amount of money it has been hemoraging, its really not worth going forward with. I have always paid for everything upfront and refuse to get myself into debt by taking loans out to keep it afloat. Andrew got himself into a bit of trouble doing this. So, I think the sensible thing to do is to stop taking orders, finish the orders I have which is a chassis, three body kits and a set of wishbones. Deliver them and then sell up and walk away with a good concience not owing a penny to anyone.

Ive given it 100% and I don’t think It would have a chance in the current climate to keep it running, and end up in a downhill spiral. The biggest problem is overheads, I have to make about £2k per month before ive got out of bed to keep the business running.

The business has taken its toll on my relationship and also my state of mind. Iv never been rash or stressed like I have been this last few months. The missus has had enough of me, and Iv had a bit of a breakdown. Ive lost my temper a few times on the forum, this last few months and its not worth it, I really just want to be one of the lads again!

Il Keep bublebee as something to reward myself for the graft ive put in, and possibly the moulds to carry on making bodywork in my spare time, body kits will be cheaper because il do them nice and chilled out in the garage at home in my own time with no overheads to worry about (unless someone makes me a sensible offer for them

Im a great beliver in that if something isnt working, then you should move on to something else before its too late. Lifes for living at the end of the day. Im also a great beliver that the world is your oyster, and I know il find something new and exciting to do with myself, but once ive got the current orders out of the way and the business closed up I think il take a well earned break and chill out for a month or so and get bumblebee through the IVA. I might even try and get the missus back!

So guys, there will be a few bargains to be had on the forum and eBay in the not too distant future,
Ive tons of seconds to get rid of, il post some of those up shotly

Id like to appologise to those whove iv upset on the forum in the recent weeks, it wasn’t big and it wasn’t clever, so I hope things can get back to normal soon. Phil especially, as hes going to be up to his tits in work ! Im also sorry that we will see the end of the weekend piss abouts up in Hartlepool.

Also, if any kind souls wouldn’t mind helping me out with a bit of graft to get the last orders finished it would be much appreciated.

The website is still up and running and will be taking orders until the end of the week, but please contact me before ordering any larger items, as i really dont want to be doing any more full chassis or bodykits before i close down

p.s
Janne your wings are done and they will be sent out by the weekend.
David your roll bar ss ready and I need to see kev about a tank , just need to find the time to get up and weld it for you
Alga il be in touch shortly

If there are any bits iv promised as freebees or stuff iv forgotten about would you let me know, as the priority at the moment is fulfilling orders and making sure every order is complete before I go

Last edited by shh120m : 31st May 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:15 PM

WOW Nat ....really did not think things were that bad...it is really sad news and a loss to our community ...its a real shame it has not gone to plan and I hope you can get sorted out with all the issues you have ....like you say maybe as a hobby rather than a business is the way to stabilize your life....am really gutted for you man ....and if there is any way I can give you a hand let me know and I will try to help.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:19 PM

Sorry to hear that mate but I think you have made the correct decision to complete any outstanding orders and pack up

The amount of hours you have put in is absolutely insane, a normal 40hr a week job will feel like part time hobby to you now!

Take that time out, get that car finished, enjoy it and get your missus back!

The trouble is the whole ethos of the roadster is building a car on a budget so everyone wants things for next to nothing but still of high quality

So it makes it hard from the start to make a business out of it, im sure they will always be a market for bodywork so those molds must be worth a few quid to someone

Give me a shout when your car is done and we can go for a good blast up the helmsley road
Old 31st May 2012, 12:22 PM

tough decisions fella.
At least you didn't rack up big loans then end up having to shaft people in winding down so respect for that.
Hope you sort you stuff out, get the missus back if thats what you want and move on being happy. It bugs me the likes of GTS seems to make a go of it while you guys seem to struggle.

I still need bodywork but not just yet so happy there may be some cheaper garage prices in the future!

If you've got a second scuttle ping me a PM, I need one to know where to route my wiring, its just for mock up until I have the pennies for a full body kit.

Cheers

Mike
Old 31st May 2012, 12:36 PM

holy crap.. sorry to hear.... was good to chat with you the other week, all your stuff i saw was top notch.... wish i could have contributed there and then for a frame, but not having a job myself means having to wait... i hope whatever you do goes well in the future .. and if youre still able to do the odd frame, well once some money comes in i might have to have a chat again...
Old 31st May 2012, 01:00 PM

Hi, Im quite new to the forum and dont know the history but sorry to hear your business hasnt worked out - and really sorry to hear its taken its toll on your personal life.

Out of my own interest (and feel free not to answer) can I ask what the 2k overheads consisted of? And you say you needed to 'make' 2k, I presume thats 2k turnover? I ask as I myself run a small business and am looking to steadily expand, but those sorts of overhead figures scare me!!

I hope all works out ok for you.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:46 PM

Tragic to hear that Nathan, I only spoke to you twice but both times you gave me exactly what I needed so thank you wherever you end up working they'll be lucky to have you, and I'm sure you'll get a few good references from here
Old 31st May 2012, 02:11 PM

Such a shame but if it's right for you ten all the best in the future.
I was looking forward to buying some of the lovely carbon at a later date.
Old 31st May 2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

As others have said, very sorry to here the news a big blow to the roadster but you can't risk your health and relationships.

Mothball the jigs and moulds and do what you can when you want to.

Good luck..

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 31st May 2012, 03:45 PM

I have to say I'm quite devistated to hear about NTS closing, really come as a surprise to me. All the best in the future and good luck with getting the roadster on the road!

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting