Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2009, 09:23 PM

Default Howmany KG's

Anyone weighed their roadster yet? Pref fully built weight. Just wondering how OCD I have to be on weight saving.
Old 16th August 2009, 09:40 PM

i,m aiming for 540kgs without me sat in it with half a tank of fuel ( 2 & half gallons), tho i only weigh 70kgs so it should be quite quick off the line

andy

ps... i believe Spud,s car weighs 520 kgs on the road
Old 17th August 2009, 10:02 AM

If I remember correctly mine came out at 680kg
That is with a full tank of fuel 35ltrs

I used 2mm thick tubing on the chassis, and didn't realy have any
thoughts on weight saving.
So at 680kg I'm quite happy.
Mind you when I sit in it the weight goes up a bit,
I could probably make 2 of Andy

The car still goes liks sh1t of a shiny shovel.....

David
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:44 AM

Default Finished weight

Just had my car on the corner scales.. it has a dry-sumped 2 litre turbo 3sgte motor, Altezza 6 speed box, Subaru LSD. With 30 litres of fuel it weighs 675kg.

With me in it, the corners are LF : 174, RF : 175
LR : 196, RR : 207

Pretty happy with that, with 10 litres of gas (track day) it makes the front 48%, rear 52%.
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ishNZ View Post
Just had my car on the corner scales.. it has a dry-sumped 2 litre turbo 3sgte motor, Altezza 6 speed box, Subaru LSD. With 30 litres of fuel it weighs 675kg.

With me in it, the corners are LF : 174, RF : 175
LR : 196, RR : 207

Pretty happy with that, with 10 litres of gas (track day) it makes the front 48%, rear 52%.
I would say thats more realistic for a roadster. Some are showing the weights from the rolling road brake test which are miles out of bed. At 675kg`s that is still a f@@k of a power to weight ratio and with nearly 50/50 weight distribution should handle pretty good

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:37 PM

My bec car was 510 kg with a full tank of fuel, that was true weight on corner scales. I don't believe in going by power to weight ratios, a car weighing 5 tonnes and having 5000000 bhp aint going to handle but would have a good power to weight ratio.
Old 23rd September 2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylliezx9r View Post
My bec car was 510 kg with a full tank of fuel, that was true weight on corner scales. I don't believe in going by power to weight ratios, a car weighing 5 tonnes and having 5000000 bhp aint going to handle but would have a good power to weight ratio.
Thats an extreme. There are cars out there that weigh 2tons + that will out handle,out brake and out drag any caterham or seven replica. Heavy does not mean it cant handle, a heavy old DTM beemer got round brands in 42 seconds ish /R500 55seconds. A caterham superlight got round nurburgring in 7min 55s, a dodge Viper acr got round there in 7m22s and thats enough time to get out of the car and put the kettle on The new corvette has since stuffed the vipers time. As far as tracks go they are not all made up of 2meter long straights with hairpins at each end. The nurburgring is regarded as a true test of any cars performance period. Yes these things we are building have a place in motorsport but dont kid yourself that they are the ultimate in sports cars cos they aint. If you think you can stay with something like a 911 porsche down an autoban best you take a dustpan and brush

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 23rd September 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Thats an extreme. There are cars out there that weigh 2tons + that will out handle,out brake and out drag any caterham or seven replica. Heavy does not mean it cant handle, a heavy old DTM beemer got round brands in 42 seconds ish /R500 55seconds. A caterham superlight got round nurburgring in 7min 55s, a dodge Viper acr got round there in 7m22s and thats enough time to get out of the car and put the kettle on The new corvette has since stuffed the vipers time. As far as tracks go they are not all made up of 2meter long straights with hairpins at each end. The nurburgring is regarded as a true test of any cars performance period. Yes these things we are building have a place in motorsport but dont kid yourself that they are the ultimate in sports cars cos they aint. If you think you can stay with something like a 911 porsche down an autoban best you take a dustpan and brush

Bob
I do agree Rob, but you've got to be carefull comparing race cars to road cars. Massive aero, slicks electronic aids etc.
Rest assured if i had the cash I wouldnt be piddling round with lotus 7 replicas I would be on my way to the nearest Mclaren dealership. I often think though; they would be faster, more grip and quicker lap times BUT would it be any more fun
I road fast bikes for about 10 years and have to confess that doing 170 mph isnt really for me!
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:52 PM

phew i was thinking as long as im under 750kg all in i would be happy
hang on now im thinking under 650kg
Old 24th September 2012, 01:08 AM

I've put together a little spreadsheet like this:

I've weighed most of the parts and posted the weights on this forum a couple of years ago. The engine is the only component I sadly forgot to weigh, so the figure is a guesstimate based on some web searches.

As you see, it's coming out at ~530 kg empty. I'm fairly certain the real figure is not very far off.

The F/R distribution of the various items are just my guesstimates, but I think they paint a realistic picture altogether.