Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th April 2010, 05:38 PM

Default Silencer position

Hello

Had a hard weekend down the gaage - even had my girlfriend down helping me clean the driveshafts and diff and starting to paint them - she's much more patient painting than I am

In between making various bits and bobs which will hopefully have me on wheels in the next few weeks I decided to have a look at where to put my silencer. It's from a GSXR1000 K4 bike and was only £20 inc P&P (it even has a cat in it although I don't need one for my Pinto). Using the measurments that Spud gave me - I've clamped a bar in place where the rear arch should come to. Because it is a motorbike can, there is very little bend to the outlet so I need to position the can quite far forward to get it a reasonable distance from the arch.

I've attached a few pics of the mock-up.Out of interest what does everyone think of this setup - will it look ok? Position seem about right? Should I try and get a bend for the exit pipe?

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01342 (Medium).JPG (57.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01344 (Medium).JPG (89.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01345 (Medium).JPG (61.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01347 (Medium).JPG (91.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01348 (Medium).JPG (78.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 18th April 2010, 10:58 PM

Nice can Dave

Just looking at the first picture & from an asthetic point of view .... with the can in it's current position it looks as if the front of the can will be a fair bit of distance from the side panel !!

Perhaps there is some room to bring the can further back so as you will be able to keep the pipework a little closer to the side panel.

Most 7's I have seen have the silencer quite close to the rear wheel arch, this being protected from the heat by way of some form of stone guard / Heat shield .

Just my personal thoughts mate

Thanks for the link in the bolts thread .... I must have spent over an hour searching last night for a decent online retailer

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 18th April 2010, 11:29 PM

I think it`s also too far out from the side especially as it`s on the driver`s side, you`ll struggle to avoid standing on it when getting out of the car and the exhaust is hot!. I also think it`s too low, mine is about level with the bottom rail of the chassis otherwise it will be the first thing to catch the ground. Full marks for thinking about these things at this stage though, saves a lot of hassle later on, Dennis.
Old 19th April 2010, 09:07 AM

Cheers guys - good to see your thinking along the same lines as me. I'm thinking that the can should end where the cockpit begins to taper and should be about 25mm away and parallel to the cockpit. I will have another go at mocking up the exhaust tonight and post some more pictures later.
Old 19th April 2010, 06:00 PM

I may be wrong but you may need a rolled/radiused end on the very end of the outlet to be IVA friendly,nice chrome trim ?
Old 19th April 2010, 10:47 PM

At the moment the end of the exhaust has a nice rolled end on it. I've had a play with positions tonight - putting the front end of the exhaust by the start of the parallel section of the cockpit ends up with the can almost touching the wheel arch. Moving it back about 6 inches would seem a better position. Think I will try and get a stainless bend to fit on the end with a trim piece to add a rolled end. See the pics belwo for the full back and my preferred position. You will notice I've also moved the can closer to the body. Thanks for having a look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01355 (Medium).JPG (85.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01360 (Medium).JPG (80.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 19th April 2010, 10:57 PM

that position looks better David, maybe its just "more pleasing to the eye" so to speak,
tho its difficult to gauge without the side panels & rear arches in place, as i,ve recently been looking at the placement of my silencer too.

cheers
andy
Old 20th April 2010, 12:17 PM

Either way i think you definately need a bend on the end as your wheel arch will get cooked and caked in black dust

I think car builder sell 90 degree exhaust ends with rolled radius on the tip, not sure if they are any good though