Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st March 2011, 06:59 PM

Default Chris's new build of an MX5 based car

OK I'm 40 years old and I'm bored! Bought the locost book 10 years ago and 2 years ago I bought the Haynes Roadster book. Always hated fords, sorry ford people, so was put off really, couldn't bare to buy a sierra donor, especially as people seem to think they are a classic these days! Also I was put off by the welding but I'm a big boy now so I reckon I can do it.

Currently in the process of cleaning out my tiny garage, getting rid of loads of junk, practicing welding and dreaming about the build, seriously!

I'm serious about doing this project, My last car project went way over budget (VW Corrado G60 2.0 litre 250bhp/235lbft) and when it was finished (read not a challenge anymore) I sold it! I was also skint which helped make the decision. I live 10 minutes from my own I.T. business so walk to work with my dog everyday and so this means I can build a roadster with the money I savve from not running a second car. My other car is a Volvo V50 R-Design 2.0D, lovely car (based on a ford :cough: ) but not too exciting.

So here I am and here is my Donor!

Last edited by CTWV50 : 13th June 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 31st March 2011, 07:12 PM

You do realize that Ford owns a major percentage of Mazda?

MX5 is a great donor, fits the concept of the Locost/Roadster/Lotus 7 perfectly. Good luck with your build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
OK I'm 40 years old and I'm bored! Bought the locost book 10 years ago and 2 years ago I bought the Haynes Roadster book. Always hated fords, sorry ford people, so was put off really, couldn't bare to buy a sierra donor, especially as people seem to think they are a classic these days! Also I was put off by the welding but I'm a big boy now so I reckon I can do it.

Currently in the process of cleaning out my tiny garage, getting rid of loads of junk, practicing welding and dreaming about the build, seriously!

I'm serious about doing this project, My last car project went way over budget (VW Corrado G60 2.0 litre 250bhp/235lbft) and when it was finished (read not a challenge anymore) I sold it! I was also skint which helped make the decision. I live 10 minutes from my own I.T. business so walk to work with my dog everyday and so this means I can build a roadster with the money I savve from not running a second car. My other car is a Volvo V50 R-Design 2.0D, lovely car (based on a ford :cough but not too exciting.

So here I am and here is my Donor!

http://gallery.me.com/christophertwa...13015906430001
Old 31st March 2011, 07:14 PM

All the best with the build CT, its a real shame to pull them apart that is a lovely looking donor but at the end of the day there are many thousands of them and its going to a better home....

All the Best....Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 31st March 2011, 07:48 PM

It looks better than it is believe me, sills are about done!
Old 31st March 2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicountryman1961 View Post
You do realize that Ford owns a major percentage of Mazda?

MX5 is a great donor, fits the concept of the Locost/Roadster/Lotus 7 perfectly. Good luck with your build!
I do, I just refuse to pay good money for a Sierra! They should be free!
Old 31st March 2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
I do, I just refuse to pay good money for a Sierra! They should be free!
Your not buying a Sierra.... your investing in a Haynes Roadster
Old 31st March 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
Your not buying a Sierra.... your investing in a Haynes Roadster
Thats how i had to look at it when after 6months of no luck in finding a good donor i had to part with £350 for one it was in supprisingly good nick though

If i wasnt building the roadster i wouldnt give you a tenner for a J reg sierra!
Old 31st March 2011, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

I have had a fair share of cars and have to say that the sierras have always been the best drivers cars out of all the cars I have owned.

I hated fords until I gog my first sapphy in 1994.

Had a Few VAG's and other FWD cars and find the battle of torque steer and axle tramp under acceleration to be a BIG turn off to the FWD idea. ( my daily is a Galaxy and it's sh...t off the line. )

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 1st April 2011, 01:21 AM

Yeah FWD VWs and audis, I've had a fair few, not great at getting off the line and not as reliable as people would have you think. Anyway back to the MX5, I can't believe they fitted an aluminium sump and a stainless steel exhaust manifold as standard, such a bonus, engine should be nice and lightweight, bye bye production car understeer!

I'm reading a book about the design/development of the MX5, weight was a massive deal, people were threatened if weight wasn't kept to a minimum. They even lightened the crank and flywheel compared to the 323 transverse engine it was based on allowing to rev to 7200rpm.

The Donor is a 1.6 1995 model but it isn't the later tweaked 90 bhp engine that was not available to buy till Nov 1995 and had a steel sump. Mines a May 1995 and has a B6 engine code. So if anyones looking to buy a 1995 mx5 check the engine code is the correct for the one your after and seeing as the emission test was tightened up for cars after August 1995 you may want to play safe with the earlier engine. The 90bhp engine code starts with BP. Had another nose under the engine bay today just before dark, the rad fan is only half the size of the radiator and looks like it will be suitable for the roadster if it can be made to attach to the polo radiator.

Signed up to mx5oc forum to get a seller thread going when I'm ready to break the car down.

Need to get the garage sorted first and get some welding practice in before building the build table. Took some measurement and if I keep the garage clear I should be able to keep the whole car in the garage when finished along with other essential garage belongings. I may need to sort a shed at some point though for the gardening tools. I digress...

That is all goodnight.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 1st April 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 1st April 2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
If i wasnt building the roadster i wouldnt give you a tenner for a J reg sierra!
That made me smile!