Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th April 2011, 07:38 AM

Default Weight of Roadster?

Just wondering what is the expected average weight of a road going version of the Haynes roadster (without driver) using a car engine?
Old 7th April 2011, 07:54 AM

I think the average seems to be around the 500 to 600 kgs range, tho this depends on which engine fitted,

I have the 1.8CVH engine & I,m hoping for around 540kgs , Spuds car with the same engine at his SVA test was 520 kgs, I think that was with a full tank of fuel but no driver/passenger in the car.

cheers
andy
Old 7th April 2011, 07:57 AM

I am looking at using a MX5 donor. Do you know how these engines compare in weight to the cvh and pinto?
Old 7th April 2011, 08:16 AM

I'm using an mx5 1.6 too and would be interested if people new the answer to this, all I can add is that my research has suggested that the 1.6 engine and running gear could be as much as 50kg lighter than the mx5 1.8! Worth considering!
Old 7th April 2011, 08:19 AM

Andy is your chassis 2mm or 1.6mm anyone know the weight difference ? I guess it would be one third heavier, correct.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:31 AM

I calculated this in AutoCAD a while ago, whilst bored at work. Sadly we lost a lot of the forum to some hacking and I can't find the post. From recollection, the increase in weight from 1.6mm to 2mm is only around 6kgs more.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:32 AM

Ok flicking through the original locost book there's picture of the guy holding the chassis, apparently it weighs 35lb which doesn't seem very much at all, about 15kg! so 2mm steel will add maximum 5kg! Not much. Answering my own questions here but what-the-hell!

edit: Ooops didn't see your post deezee! So 6kg then!
Old 7th April 2011, 10:02 AM

As a rough guide, a fully welded chassis using 2mm walled steel with the basic CP plates fitted will be approx 70kgs in total, give or take a few kgs depending how much you have welded onto the main frame of the chassis( if you have fitted diff plate hangers/wishbone brackets etc).

Chris...just be aware that when using the MX5 as the donor there are a few parts of the chassis that are longer than book spec, its not alot, approx 0.5mtr, this is basically to accommodate the new diff cage arrangement. The overall dimensions of the length/ width of the chassis etc are the same as book spec details.

cheers
andy
Old 7th April 2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
As a rough guide, a fully welded chassis using 2mm walled steel with the basic CP plates fitted will be approx 70kgs in total, give or take a few kgs depending how much you have welded onto the main frame of the chassis( if you have fitted diff plate hangers/wishbone brackets etc).

Chris...just be aware that when using the MX5 as the donor there are a few parts of the chassis that are longer than book spec, its not alot, approx 0.5mtr, this is basically to accommodate the new diff cage arrangement. The overall dimensions of the length/ width of the chassis etc are the same as book spec details.

cheers
andy
So I will be ok with 7x 6m 25mm and 3x 6m 20mm? CP plates? Checker Plate? Is the locost book a bit out on the locost weight 15kg really seems too light!?? And does the 6kg weight difference between 2mm and 1.6mm still stand for the roadster? Too many questions I know but I'm about to order the steel within the next few days hopefully.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:33 PM

The book refers to the Chassis Plates as CP. I've just calculated all the box section required for the build as around 12 metres of 19mm and 37 metres of 25mm (lengths of all box section + 10% waste). Based on these figures you can work out that the weight of a BARE (box section only) chassis in 1.6mm is going to be 51.26 kgs and in 2mm as 63.13 kgs. So around a 1.9% increase in estimated total vehicle weight (600kgs). This is based on the density of the mild steel as being around 7,800 kg/m3.

I'm proper out of my league for guessing exactly how much stiffer / stronger the chassis will be made out of 2mm versus 1.6mm.